Making a Gift of Securities
Making a gift of securities offers you the chance to support work within your community while also receiving important personal benefits. Securities and mutual funds that have increased in value and been held for more than one year are one of the most popular assets to use.
Through a gift of appreciated stock, you receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full fair market value of the securities, while also helping you avoid capital gains taxes on appreciated stock. This allows you to maximize your gift.
Steps to Give
- Direct your broker or agent to transfer shares from your account into the “Towards Employment” account at Charles Schwab, account number 5017-7328, DTC #0164 Code 40. Our EIN number is 34-1578831.
- Notify, or have your broker notify, Towards Employment (cMcDevitt@towardsemployment.org) when transfer has been completed. In your email, please include your name, as well as the number and type of shares.
Please contact Coleene McDevitt, Towards Employment CFO at 216-696-5750 with questions about stock certificates, powers and additional paperwork, as well as notification of incoming stock transfers.
Items to Remember
- The date of the stock gift is the day the right of ownership of the stock is effectively transferred to Towards Employment.
- The value for tax purposes is the mean between the high and low quoted selling prices on that day.
- Your gift will be acknowledged by Towards Employment with the valuation of your gift for tax purposes.
- Always consult your personal financial or tax advisor in advance to see how a gift of securities can benefit you.
For general questions regarding your Towards Employment donation, please contact Adaora Schmiedl, Chief Advancement and Community Engagement Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org